What specifically do you need?
- A Slingbox
- A router, or a combined modem/router
- An audio video source
- A Windows or Macintosh computer on your home network with:
- A high-speed Internet connection
- A supported web browser for access to Slingbox.com, or Slingplayer for Desktop if using a Slingbox M1
- Optional: a mobile device (for example, an iPad or an Android phone) with the appropriate version of SlingPlayer installed
Below are the details for each item.
Your Slingbox can be any of these models:
- SlingTV/Slingbox 500
- Slingbox M1
- Slingbox 350
- Slingbox PRO-HD
- Slingbox SOLO
- Slingbox 120
- Slingbox PRO
- Slingbox TUNER
- Slingbox AV
- Original Slingbox ("Slingbox Classic")
A router, or a combined modem/router
You need several things here:
- An available ethernet port on your router. For SlingTV/Slingbox 500 and Slingbox M1 users, a Wi-Fi connection is also supported.
- Administrative rights to your router (commonly, the login and password) if you need to change the settings.
- Your router must have UPnP (Universal Plug and Play ... check your router's user guide for more information) turned on. If your router is set up to use UPnP, Setup on Slingbox.com or Slingplayer for Desktop takes care of the configuration for you.
- If UPnP is not an option, your router must be set up to use Port Forwarding (check your router's user guide if you're not sure what this is, or view one of our helpful support videos, linked below).
- The router also needs to offer DHCP capability. (Fortunately, almost all routers for consumer use do.)
An audio video source
You need an audio video source to connect your Slingbox to:
- A cable or a satellite set-top box
- A digital video recorder (DVR, such as a TiVo)
- A DVD player
- A digital tuner for over-the-air viewing (Note that the Slingbox PRO-HD, Slingbox PRO, Slingbox TUNER, and Slingbox Classic include a built-in tuner.)
- Any other AV device
A Windows or Mac computer on a home network with a high-speed Internet connection
After you physically hook up your Slingbox, finish the configuration of the Slingbox by pointing your web browser to Slingbox.com. For a list of supported web browsers, see the related article below. If you're setting up a Slingbox M1, you must install Slingplayer for Desktop to configure your Slingbox.
When you’re done with the setup, your home computer does not need to be on when viewing your Slingbox remotely.
When you're viewing either at home or remotely, note that video quality is always determined by network speed, CPU, and memory, so a faster computer will always give you the best results!
Note: If you are connecting via Wi-Fi to a SlingTV/Slingbox 500 and you have an HD connection to your AV source, you can alternatively do the setup on your TV.
Optional: SlingPlayer software for your mobile device
With a Slingbox at home and SlingPlayer on your compatible mobile device (like an Android phone or iPad), you can enjoy live or recorded TV over a Wi-Fi or 3G connection.
Check out our SlingPlayer product page (linked below) to see which version of the SlingPlayer software is best for your device, and where to purchase it!