How to watch your Slingbox on a TV
Want to watch your Slingbox content on a TV in another room or in another location? Here are some options.
- Apple TV and iOS 7 device running SlingPlayer: With an AirPlay-supported device like the second or third-generation Apple TV and an iPhone 4S, iPod touch (fifth generation), iPad mini, iPad 2, or later device running the current version of iOS (iOS 7.x) and SlingPlayer, you can use AirPlay to project SlingPlayer to your HD TV. IMPORTANT: Your iOS device must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV. To set it up:
Apple TV and earlier version iOS device running SlingPlayer: With an AirPlay-supported device like the second or third-generation Apple TV and an iPhone 4S, iPod touch (fifth generation), iPad mini, iPad 2, or later device running SlingPlayer and an older version of iOS, you can use AirPlay mirroring to project SlingPlayer to your HD TV. IMPORTANT: Your iOS device must be on the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV, and the SlingPlayer quality must be set to Auto. To set it up:
- Launch SlingPlayer and connect to your Slingbox.
- Tap the screen to display the SlingPlayer controls.
- Tap the AirPlay icon and select your Apple TV:
- The video stream now displays on your TV, while the controls remain on your iOS device! If you want to switch the video back to your device, just tap the AirPlay icon and reselect your device:
SlingPlayer for Roku: SlingPlayer for Roku uses your Slingbox and SlingPlayer for iPhone, SlingPlayer for iPad, or SlingPlayer for Android Phones to stream your TV programs to your Roku player, and then onto your TV. For more details, see the SlingPlayer for Roku FAQ, linked below.
- Double-tap the home button on your device to bring up the multitasking bar.
- Swipe to the right.
- Tap the AirPlay button, and choose your Apple TV.
- Tap to enable the mirroring switch.
- Launch SlingPlayer.
iPhone or iPad with an iOS video adapter cable: If you're using the latest version of SlingPlayer for iPhone or iPod touch or SlingPlayer for iPad, you can get video out from your mobile device to an attached TV or monitor using one of the iOS video adapter cables discussed in the video linked below. You must set the quality in SlingPlayer to Auto.
Note: When you connect to a Slingbox 350, Slingbox M1, or SlingTV/Slingbox 500, SlingPlayer supports AirPlay in either standard or mirroring mode. If you connect through an older Slingbox model such as the Slingbox SOLO or PRO-HD, SlingPlayer supports AirPlay mirroring. Normal Airplay streaming may work in this configuration, but it is not supported.
With the latest release of SlingPlayer and iOS 7.x or later on your iPhone or iPad, you can run AirPlay in the background while performing other tasks in the foreground!
SlingPlayer now offers a TV-out feature!
If you're using the latest update to SlingPlayer for iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, there's a cool new way to get video out from your mobile device to an attached TV or monitor.