Quick explanation: A Slingbox ID number uses only numerals and the letters "A" through "F." However, on the BlackBerry Pearl's keyboard, the letter "F" is the second letter on its key. It's easy to press the BlackBerry "caps" key, and then enter letters "A" through "E" with a single press. But when you try to do the same thing to get an "F," pressing the D/F key twice, you get only multiple "D" characters. The letter "F" is inaccessible.
Fortunately, there is a workaround: if you have SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows, you can log into your Sling Account and add the new Slingbox that way. When you log out of your Sling Account on your BlackBerry, then log back in, your Directory is updated with the new entry.
If you do not have SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows, or you prefer to use your BlackBerry, here's a workaround.
Using a BlackBerry Pearl to create a new Slingbox entry (using the Slingbox ID number)
- Launch SlingPlayer Mobile for BlackBerry on your Pearl.
- Go to the Directory.
- Press the BlackBerry menu key, then select Add.
- Enter a name for this new Slingbox entry.
- At the end of the name, add a letter "F." (You can remove it later.)
- Press the BlackBerry menu key, then choose Select.
- Move the cursor to highlight the "F" that you put temporarily in the Slingbox name.
- Press the BlackBerry menu key, then choose Copy.
- Click to select Slingbox ID as your connect method.
The cursor moves to a clear space so you can enter the Slingbox ID.
- Using the caps key whenever you need an alphabet letter, enter the Slingbox ID. When you need a letter "F": press the BlackBerry menu key, then choose Paste. An "F" appears.
Continue until entire Slingbox ID is entered.
- Enter the password for the Slingbox.
- Indicate if the password that you just entered is an Admin password.
- Go back up to the Slingbox name and remove the extra "F" that you used for copy/pasting.
- Press the BlackBerry menu key, then select Save.
Note: You do not have to do this procedure if you're using a BlackBerry device with a full keyboard.